18 April 2007

Differences

James, by Mark Tonra

A debate is afoot over on Whitenoise's blag.

Brings to mind a few quotes:

"Liberty is the possibility of doubting, the possibility of making a mistake, the possibility of searching and experimenting, the possibility of saying No to any authority - literary, artistic, philosophic, religious, social, and even political."
- Ignazio Silone, author (1900-1978)

"It is not what we do, but also what we do not do, for which we are accountable."
- Moliere, actor and playwright (1622-1673)

"To fear is one thing. To let fear grab you by the tail and swing you around is another."
– Katherine Paterson, Jacob Have I Loved

"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention in human history, with the possible exception of handguns and tequila."
- Pundit Mitch Radcliffe

And ...

"Much of the vitality in a friendship lies in the honoring of differences, not simply in the enjoyment of similarities."
– James L. Frederick in Journal of Ecumenical Studies

James, by Mark Tonra

All of the quotes above found their way to me via A.Word.A.Day - another reason to subscribe.

"That’s all hearsay." "Yeah. And here I am sayin’ it!"
- Rob Wilco to Bucky, Get Fuzzy by Darby Conley, 04-Oct-2006

3 comments:

Whitenoise said...

thanks, Cheek. ;-)

After my 03:00 start and 3 leg, 12 hour day, I'm struggling to keep 3 or 4 brain cells powered up and online.

If I manage to string a sentence or two, I reserve the right to say "fooey" and call it a day.

country mouse said...

All thought provoking quotes. The Moliere one cuts right to the bone, doesn't it?

I am in awe of your well-readness : )

CheekierMeSly said...

I may have read a book or three in my time, but in the case of the quotes, they came to me via AWAD. Each day's e-mail has not only a word defined, but also a quote. I saved the ones that struck me. Glad you like 'em!