27 June 2007

Ska it up, babee!

So last night at band practice, we went over tunes with our new bass player to get stuff set before we play on Thursday. A recent addition to the set list is "Two of Us" by The Beatles. Callified and I both very much groove on the I Am Sam soundtrack and particularly dig Aimee Mann and Michael Penn's version (did ya know they were married?). Caught Michael Penn at The Five Spot last year with Kimplicated - great show.

As we started on the song, I heard something in my head and said, "Callified, you should ska-up the rhythm bit." She did. And l'il drummer boy morphed the beat to match. And day-um! It was cool.

The Police. Mighty Mighty Bosstones. No Doubt. Sublime. Just a few of the bands whose incorporation of ska doesn't suck. This Save Ferris cover below of "Come On Eileen" puts an awesome ska spin on the classic Dexys Midnight Runners' tune. Spanks for that CD years back, Pid. Definitely an unsuck listen!



Today's What Is Sexy bits (W.I.S.B.s):
- Girls singing about girls is sexy. I wonder if Jill Sobule knew her song would be so popular?
- Surprise is sexy.

7 comments:

Whitenoise said...

Poor old Johnnie Ray.

CheekierMeSly said...

We are far too young and clever.

country mouse said...

Know what else is sexy? Looking like a real woman! I love that this singer doesn't look plastic or altered or too skinny or 16. I'm not into the girl-on-girl thing, but that woman could make me think twice ; )

CheekierMeSly said...

I concur, CountryMouse. She is HOT!

Anonymous said...

Oooo! I'm in! (I'm inviting myself)

country mouse said...

Tell you what, Pid, if you can line it up with that singer lady, we'll just go ahead and turn it into a free-for-all ; )

Sheena said...

Thank you for forcing me to watch the clip. Loved it.