05 June 2007

No Weakends Here: Part 2 - Virginia Highlands Summerfest

Owning a bed and breakfast exists somewhere in the Cheek time continuum. I groove so muchly on having company come to stay a spell. My house gets clean, as my slackass isn’t motivated to be all Becky-Homecky on a daily basis. And I cook – well, breakfast anyway. Got my happy ass up early Saturday, made bacon, sliced strawberries, and baked cinnamon rolls to fuel my morning and leave for the guest, and headed to the Virginia Highlands Summerfest to recruit volunteers for the aquarium.

Second time volunteering thusly and alongside Marin’s Mommy. Fantastic people watching, and good music listening as our booth was near the stage at the Inman Middle School. Susan, the lovely owner of the home behind our booth location, graciously offered her facilities in lieu of festival Port-o-lets. Her hydrangeas were amazing – check ‘em out if you’re walking east on Virginia from Greencove, a couple doors down on the left.

(Port-o-lets? The only good memory I have of ‘em involves Sheena and the Molson Indy. When will the Beer Garden Queens reunite?)

Festival serendipity yielded in Shandi Berl’s Creative Works. Relieved her of a few magnetic bud vases (seen below on the fridge, left, awaiting buds - can you tell which is my fridge fave?)

and a beautiful wine stopper, but was *really* blown away by her knobs. You must see Shandi’s knobs! An order will be placed for the end tables to be painted white and distressed to show the cherry underneath, a craft activity forthcoming with ‘struction by SmartAsh.

Also lurved Trasea’s Glassworks that Marin’s Mommy drew my attention to. Wisely limiting the cash she brought to limit impulse purchases, we used Cheek’s plastic instead.


Lastly scored a nifty tropical bowl that now lives on my mantle.

No comments: