25 June 2008

Happily Unchaste, and Dreams

From Hugh MacLeod's gapingvoid.com

Today's What Is Sexy bits (W.I.S.B.s):

Words are, yet again, sexy.


Today's first sexy words came to me by way of my A.W.A.D. missive's thought for the day:

"There are no chaste minds. Minds copulate wherever they meet."
-Eric Hoffer, philosopher and author (1902-1983)

Just may have to pick up Hoffer's The True Believer: Thoughts on the Nature of Mass Movements. Reading Malcolm Gladwell's The Tipping Point has me all a'twitter about societal cause/effect schtuff. If you haven't read The Tipping Point, RUN!, don't walk, and get a copy today. It's an unsuck read.

But, back to my unchasteyness. I may not have (yet) met Hugh MacLeod's mind in person, but his words have caused much copulation in my mind. Mental masturbation? I digress . . .

Hugh's post yesterday included this copulative nugget:

"It's good to be young and full of dreams. Dreams of one day doing something "insanely great". Dreams of love, beauty, achievement and contribution. But understand they have a life of their own, and they're not very good at following instructions. Love them, revere them, nurture them, respect them, but don't ever become a slave to them. Otherwise you'll kill them off prematurely, before they get the chance to come true."

Rock on, Hugh! Here's to not becoming a slave to your dreams. And, to not forgetting them.

From Randall Munroe's xkcd.com

4 comments:

Whitenoise said...

interesting...

Sheena said...

Sheena's unveiling is coming soon...


Miss you. Sorry you can't make Sheenadaday Weekend this year. But rest assured I am good hands with SuperTallGirl to the rescue.

Sheena said...

Word verification just made me type nimple.

heh heheheheh

Sheena said...

I bought an AUTOGRAPHED copy of The Tipping Point after reading this post, Cheek, and read it this weekend while doing a solo patio pub crawl in Old town Prague this weekend. Finished by mid day Sunday.

Liked it, but didn't LOVE it. Maybe because Sheena's head has been wired this way for a long time, and didn't learn much new. But highly enjoyable and great pick to read in chunks in between museums and shops and picture taking.