29 May 2007

R.T.L.B: Say What You Mean, Mean What You Say

WW*Y*D? Any rules to live by? I have a few. Some old. Some new. Some borrowed. Many learned, forgotten, and learned again.

Here's one:


Fa' real. The most treasured relationships in my life are those in which genuine communication happens. Words are backed up by those actions that speak louder.

The genuine relied upon in the past can reach the end of its lifecycle. What was, wasn't. Change is a constant. One of the sucky parts of change is that it takes time to find the genuine in the new. Patience is something I'd like to find in pill form. Even with my patience dosage metered out, I sometimes discover that what is, isn't.

What would happen if we all took the 24 hour challenge described on Andy Nulman's blag here? Would we all have our own little Jim Carrey film, or would we be liberated as Andy suggests?

Say what you mean. Mean what you say. Dammit.

"Be who you are and say what you feel,
because those who mind don't matter
and those who matter don't mind."

- Dr. Seuss

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I mean it when I say that I was Surprised and honored to be mentioned in your blog, Cheekier. I suspect Gary King will be as well! Okay...I'm all truthed out for now.

Whitenoise said...

It's not as digitally on/off as truth/lie. We use euphemisms and half-truths to grease the wheels of human interaction.

"Do you like my hair?" "Do I look fat in this?" "Did you like the CD I made for you?"

I despise hucksterism, fraud and deceit, I would never make it sales or marketing.

But, let's face it- in day-to-day life, the human mind isn't hard-wired for unvarnished truth.